Tuesday, January 4, 2011

1st Family Cook off /Throw Down

THE FIRST ANNUAL FAMILY COOK OFF/ THROW DOWN

So this came about from the creative conjuring mind of my parents. (From whom I've received my foodie qualities) It was about time for another family gathering, but my parents wanted to do something different than the usual.

I mean I'm sure you have people in your family who are always bragging about how their (insert dish here) is the best in their town, city, or state. Well if you don't have members like that in yours, I have PLENTY to go around. (And i wouldn't trade you for the world, if you happen to be reading this ;-] ) So we decided it was time for all those "chef's" to put their money where their mouth is!

The rules were as follow:

Bring a dish (and put ya foot in it), it must be anonymous. There was a registration table where the cook made a name for the dish. They then received a number and a place card. Everyone had to taste every dish in order to vote. The voters were to give each dish a score 1 -3. <(1) Good, thanks for trying, (2) Great, you put your toe in it, (3) Fantastic, slap ya mamma and make her cry>

The dishes are as follows:

Aunt Krystal at the registration table (with Oscar, the trophy)

BLUE RIBBON RUM CAKE


CARROT CAKE








CHIPOLTE OXTAIL





(the yoke had this horseradish flavor to it, bacon and shrimp )






FIRE CROCK RIBS







SO YOU THINK YOU BIG NOW, FRENCH FRY SOUP (first place, but disqualified)








BIG BALLAH, SHOT CALLAH, SOUP
(I can't remember everything that was in this but i know there was shrimp, octopus, potatoes...but it was real good)






(Pork Butt injected with chipolte Mojo)

(Second place, but disqualified)


WHAT'S UP B! COLE SLAW (wasabi infused)




GOT A BEEF? WE COOKED IT!
Secret ingredient rub with a horseradish sauce








GOOMBAY CALICK (goombay is a Bahamian celebration; calick is a sound to represent a bell ) Notice the Bahamian Officer.










GOOMBAY CALICK (PART II)



COCONUT YA MAMA THAI SOUP (3rd place, but first place by default)


So as the event continued more and more family came and entered more dishes, unfortunately I don't have pictures of all of them but there are the the titles as follows:
  • sticky dumpling
  • the smith's shells
  • cheddar garlic bread
  • jackal strudel pie
  • coconut shrimp w/ mango lime sauce

The food was pretty much amazing. I had a really hard time trying everything, because there was just SOOO much. The ballets were tallied and my mom's soup came in first, and my dad's pork in second. But, because we were the host, they disqualified themselves (which was only fair I think) and so Oscar went home with...





AUNT SHARI FOR COCONUT YA MAMA THAI SOUP

(before you call me, no I will not removed this photo from my blog, I still love you though!)

And that pretty much wraps up the First annual family cook off/ throw down... I hope ya'll enjoyed!


No comments: